Let's get started by taking a look at Week #13 of Pigskin Picks with the Page News & Courier...
High School Playoffs : (Regional Finals)
Buffalo Gap @ William Campbell
Jefferson Forrest @ Amherst
R.E. Lee @ Brookville
Clarke County @ Gretna
Clemson @ Virginia
Duke @ Virginia Tech
Michigan State @ Penn State
Texas Tech @ Oklahoma
Washington @ Seattle
New York Jets @ Tennessee
New York Giants @ Arizona
Carolina @ Atlanta
Tail Gate show @ 6:30 P.M. /Kick Off - 7:30 P.M./ ESPN-1240
We will be heading down to Brookville (Lynchburg) here shortly for our radio broadcast of the R.E. Lee - Brookville contest and we will also be keeping an eye on the Buffalo Gap @ William Campbell contest. Both schools from Augusta County that are still playing this week are both on the road and both facing football teams with impressive resumes.
1.What will R.E Lee have to do to defeat Brookville ?
* Contain Logan Thomas - Thomas plays both sides of the ball for the Bees but does most of his damage from the Quarterback position.
2. Just how good is young Mr. Thomas ?
* Thomas is 6'6 and has already signed with Frank Beamer & Va. Tech. He was just named to play in the U.S Army All American Football Game in San Antonio, Texas on January 3,2009.
3. The Bees are UN-defeated at 11-0, have they been tested ?
* They opened with a 24-21 victory over Amherst County. ACHS is the 2-time defending State Champions and had a 26 game UN-beaten streak stopped that night. Note - ACHS is also playing tonight for their Region Championship.
4. How talented were the other teams Brookville faced this season ?
* A third team from the Seminole District is also still playing football tonight. Jefferson Forrest faces Amherst County. The Bees defeated JFHS 19-7 back in early October (10/4/08)
5. Where is Brookville located and how do I get there ?
* Brookville High School plays its home games at "The Hive" which is located on US-460 Business in the Timberlake section of Lynchburg...
Head Coach of Brookville - Jeff Woody (Brookville '96)
Go Leeman !
What about Buffalo Gap and the Bison ?
Region B Finals:
Buffalo Gap Bison (11-0) @ William Campbell Generals (10-1) (Naruna, Va.)
Kick Off : 7:00 P.M.
The winner of this game has advanced to capture the State Championship each of the last 3 seasons. WCHS in 2005, Riverheads in 2006 and Buffalo Gap in 2007. The winner of tonight's game should be favored to make it 4 in a row.
Both teams had impressive victories last week in the Semi-Finals. The Generals jumped out to a 64-0 lead over a solid Riverheads squad on the way to a 64-6 final. Gap took to the road and defeated Cumberland 46-12 in one of their most impressive performances of the season.
The fans leaving Swoope for the game need to take US-501 South out of Lynchburg, Va. to get to the contest. Remember that kick off is slated for 7:00 P.M. not 7:30 P.M. so if you are driving down remember to allow yourself the extra time...
Pickle's #'s heading in - 223 carries / 1,810 yards / 30 TD's
Go Bison !