Saturday, June 28, 2008
McClain came to the plate with a runner on second base (C.J Lauriello) and proceeded to stroke a single to right center field to send the home fans happy...... The two pitching staffs combined for 30 strike outs- Yes 30 Strike Outs..... More details to come later!
10. Retired Sports Writer - I was able to cover the VBL for the 2006 & 2007 Seasons thanks to Mike Petre & Chuck McGill of the Northern Virginia Daily. It is through this experience that I fell in love with the league.
9. Minority Owner of the Luray Wranglers- Key word here is minority as in small piece of the team. This came about for two reasons (1) We work and live here in the community and wanted to help support the team and the town. (2) I couldn't think of a better way to further understand the amount of effort that goes into the VBL.
8. For the third year in a row I am part of the New Market Rebels web cast team. My number of games will be reduced this season due to my schedule criss-crossing the Valley but I should still be there to call 11 of the 22 Rebel home games. Tony Mowat, Dallas Alkire, Charlie Dodge and Jay Hafner are the other voices you here throughout the season.
7. The person/family behind the ATV-60 promotion- this title/position has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. The people I have met and visited with have been life changing for me.
6.Every 5TH Day- I have been a baseball fan all of my life and I have had 1 or 2 baseball hero's a long the way. #5- Wilbur Wood (I am dating myself), #4- Bert Blyleven, #3- Seattle Mariner- Edgar Martinez, #2- Cal Ripken Jr. and the man that has pitched every 5TH day for almost a quarter century now- Greg Maddux.
5. Host Family for Luray- I am not sure how long we will be in position to hold down this position but in 2007 we had DBU lefty Wayne Dowling stay with us and in 2008 we have had another DBU player- Clay Kelly at our house. Of all the things we are involved in, this one has been pretty special.
#4. Team Sponsor- For the second straight season our company (Crystal Clear Delivery) has been a team sponsor for the home town nine. Another key cog to the survival of each team in each town. The teams would have little hope of getting thru a season without help from the local businesses.
#3. The "Voice" of the Wranglers - It is my job to try and make everyone that attends a game @ Bulldog Field have an enjoyable time at the park. Working the PA system this season has been nothing but fun for the guy doing the talking and hopefully for all the folks stuck having to listen.
#2. Luray Game Day Programs- Rebecca gets most of the credit for this one as she does the lions share of the work but we enjoy having another way to try and help the team and support the VBL.
#1. One of the biggest fans of both ALL THINGS VALLEY LEAGUE (John Leonard) and the VBL itself. For this season just consider me a guy out in LA sitting atop of a billboard 100 feet in the air. Why is the guy sitting up there and when will he come down?
A. He is sitting there hoping to do nothing more than draw attention to something he is PASSIONATE about and wants as many people as possible to know it!
B. He will come down when the season is over (Yet to be determined if he will be institutionalized afterwards).....
This blog was created for people to share thoughts, stories and pics having to do with the VBL and we welcome all to join in (As long as it stays positive or offers thoughts on ways to improve).
Time to head out to Fauquier...
- Subscribe! You can subscribe, now. There's an option to do so above the Around the Valley in 60 Days logo. You can add it to your Google page, your Yahoo page or any one of 4 of other options. Click on the "atom" option to really be wowed. I think that is the best of the options because it's a page just for us! Selfish? Perhaps... Check it out!
- New archive. I changed our archive to one that stores by the week rather than the month. We add so often that keeping it at a monthly archive made the site really long, even when our posts weren't. You're welcome!
- Tags! I'm adding tags to all of our backed entries. This is taking me a while. I still have about 120 or so to do but I think it'll be worth it. You'll be able to select a team or a person and filter the posts to see only those regarding that person or team. Exciting!
Luray and Woodstock.
I have to be back and behind the microphone for the Wrangler game by 7:15 PM so the 4:00 PM start for game 1 will be great. We will be getting to take care of a few things at the same time. Linda will be able to collect the 11TH stamp, Rebecca will be able to give Kay and Boyd a disc with some Braves pics on it and I will be able to get a second look at the beautiful field over at Fauquier High School.
Don't know if G-S-G Mike will be able to catch the first game of the twin bill on his way from Waynesboro to Front Royal. Stop laughing- US 522 does make it sort of on the way. Both games of our twin bill should be good ones as the night cap will be a battle of RED-HOT Teams. Woodstock comes over having won 7 of 9 (Please see Karma in an earlier post) and Luray was won 8 straight contests.
Rebecca is busy creating/adding all types of fun gizmo's and gadgets to our site to make it even easier to use! Stayed tuned...
Here is the recap from the Waynesboro vs Woodstock tilt from Central High School.
Woodstock defeated Waynesboro 4-2 ending the Generals 5 game winning streak and now the River Bandits have won 6 out of their past 7 games. Kirby St John was your winning pitcher and Jeff Sinkiewicz was the losing pitcher who pitched 2 2/3 inns, 4 runs, 6 hits, and 2 walks.
Woodstock scored all 4 of their runs in the first 3 innings. Waynesboro did have chances in both the 2nd and 7th inning leaving the bases loaded both times. Chris Enourato had a RBI single in the 6th and Derek Hamblen and a RBI double in the 7th.
Here is now where the game gets sort of strange. Derek Hamblen leads off the 9th with a single and Brandon Sizemore then strikes out. After this Evan Webb walks and then play is called for a 3 minutes due to the 2nd base umpire having a restroom break. Ryan Adams is then called looking at strike three. Grant Buckner is up next and with a 1-1 count the pitcher Greg Waddell throws a wild pitch way over the catchers and umpires head and the ball goes into the net behind home plate. Hamblen is more than 3/4 to home and Webb who already stole second on the 1-0 count is on 3rd base and then the umpire says its a ball, not a wild pitch and not even a dead ball. Most of the Generals players are calling dead ball and asking to advance each player one base. But the umpire calls it a ball and asks play to continue with a lot of us being confused the next 2 pitches are called strikes and the game ends 4-2. I think it should be 4-3 at least. But if a ball is stuck in a net should it be called a dead ball? We will never know.
On to Front Royal tomorrow. GO GENERALS!
Discussing events of the day
Andrew Armstrong (OSU)
Armstrong had it going for 7 innings
Our Puppy - Diamond
Mindi's Mexican Resteraunt- Game Sponsor
Diane Buckley/ good crowd on a Friday Night
More crowd shots...
A different angle on the action
TV-3's Zach Choate (Damon's partner)
Guessing at the # of Match Books ?
New Arrival C.J Laurielo playing 3RD
Adam McClain playing behind Chad Pierce
More shots of the Fans @ Bulldog Field
C.J Laurielo in the on deck circle/ Steve Stropp at bat
Steve Stropp takes a swing
ODU's Josh Wright taking his cuts
More fans on the home side
Chris Rey on deck / Adam McClain at the dish
The Gators dugout
Frank Florio and Libbeeerrrttttyyy's Jeff Jefferson !
Austin Markel and Jeff Jefferson
Austin about to go deep for a 3-Run HR
The cool thing about hitting a 3-Run dinger is the party at the plate!
Everyone is show happy to welcome you home!
Cory Johnson helping out Steve Stropp
Night time is a coming
Future Wrangler or Gator ?
Wranglers at dusk...
15 Runs on 13 Hits
Florida International's Steve Stropp
ODU's Josh Wright
Armstrong still going Strong
Yes- his arm was strong
Turner Ashby and The Ohio State
Memphis's Adam McClain
Skipper Mike Bocock talking to the troops
and then the Umpires
A Wrangler basking in the lights
Austin Markel waiting his turn
Then making it count !
Miami Hurricane Ryan Perry
U of South Florida Bull Chris Rey
Another shot of Ryan Perry
Dallas Baptist University's Clay Kelly
A meeting at the pitchers' mound
Clay trying to wait his turn
Clay scored 2 runs late in the game
One RBI after getting hit by a pitch- ouch
Mr. Juno Carroll
Brian Dice takes his swipes at the dish
The Gators celebrate one of their two Home Runs
The final #'s on the Score Board
Brown University's Matt Boylan