Sunday Afternoon : So Many Sports Choices

There was no shortage of Sporting events for Valley residents to choose from Sunday. On the television Sunday afternoon you could watch Nascar on ABC, Redskins @ Eagles , Titans - Ravens or over on TBS you could catch the Phillies vs. Brewers in game 4 and then Tampa Bay - Chicago (Game-3).

But it didn't stop there as the 4:00 PM NFL game was Dallas - Cincinnati and the 3RD baseball playoff game was Angels at Red Sox.

So many choices and so little time. I had no problem though, for me is was watching a Red Sox game. But it wasn't the Boston Red Sox , it was Bruce Alger's New Market Red Sox. New Market is playing fall baseball this year for the first time as the Red Sox team is competing in the Augusta County Babe Ruth League.

First pitch for the ball game on Sunday came at 2:00 P.M. and the opponent for the New Market Nine was Broadway. The contest was the second of the season against Broadway (5TH overall) with Broadway winning the first game at their place by a score of 14-7.

My Rebel web-cast partner Tony Mowat let me know about Bruce and the team about a week ago and I couldn't wait to catch up with Bruce over at the ball park. The team plays their home games at the New Market Community Park on the South side of the metro-plex. Tony would tell you that you could take the subway over from Rebel Park and be there before you would know it.

Arriving at the Ball Park yesterday, the first thing I see is Mrs. Alger working in the concession stand. I should of figured that if Bruce was up to something neat that Lynne would be somewhere close by making sure everyone had everything they need. I brought my camera over to take some pics of the Red Sox nine and will get them posted later today.

I will be able to post a roster as well for the 11 Stonewall Jackson Generals to be. It only took Bruce answering my first question about the team to make me smile. I asked Bruce how it all came about for the 2008 team...

"Some of the boys were asking around about why we weren't playing fall baseball," Alger said. "I couldn't come up with a good answer so me just made it happen for the town and the boys."

That is the common thread for both Bruce Alger and myself. If there is a need for something to happen that might make something better for others in the community, we attempt to find a way to make it happen. Bruce walked me through the process during the game from both the dugout and while he was coaching third base.

The Red Sox staff consists of the Alger's and three other fathers of the current team. The league has a very casual feel to it but the first thing you will notice is that some of the players are playing baseball for the first time. The reason you will notice that is because the more experienced players are constantly offering encouragement to their teammates that are just learning the fundamentals of the game.

I will be back to add the remainder of my notes later today as well as the pictures. Just wanted to start telling the story while dropping off the newspapers here at the Days Inn of Luray...

Popular posts from this blog

Time to List the Folks that we Believe In and try our Best to Show Support For : Other than the WNBA & College Bowl 🥣 Games

Central High School - Coach Jerry Walters & The Falcons Family Tree- Pics 1ST